Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Applying the Classroom to the Trip

            



           For this Blog entry I will be discussing how I applied the skills, knowledge, and research methodologies I gained in the History 280 course I took in the spring semester to the International Studies 316 course I took as part of the trip to Central Europe.

            The major skill that I gained in History 280 and then applied to International Studies 316 was map reading, particularly transportation maps. In the class during spring semester we studied the maps of each city and had map quizzes of the locations of the most significant locations in the cities. This made it much easier to find locations when we were actually staying in the city as part of the summer course. Looking over the tram and metro maps ahead of time also made navigating the metro and tram systems much easier. The navigational and map reading skills that we practiced during the spring course before the trip were very helpful during my International Studies 316 course.

Oktogon Stop: M1 Research

            The knowledge that I gained during History 280 in the spring was also essential to International Studies 316 in Central Europe. While I am a history student so I know a lot of the broad history of Central Europe, gaining a closer historical perspective of the cities and specific locations we would visit was imperative. In order to understand a location, the history that place is essential. We also learned a lot about the music we would hear in Central Europe in the class. It made recognizing and appreciating the music we heard much easier. It also prepared me for what aspects of music to listen for at the various performances we attended. For instance, I knew what to expect at the opera, so I could more fully enjoy the performance and talent of the performers. The background knowledge that I gained in the spring course was essential to the summer course.

Metro in Leipzig
          The research methodologies I gained in History 280 were also very important to my experience in International Studies 316. In our spring class I was part of a small group that did a research project on the M1/Andrassy Ut metro line in Budapest. When we were in Budapest, we did field work along this line. The research and presentation at the conclusion of the History 280 course gave me a lot of background about the M1 and also gave me some idea about what type of information I would need to collect during my field work. The advice of the professors for research collection as well as the presentation in the spring course prepared me very well for my own first-hand research during the summer course.

            I feel that the History 280 course during the spring semester was an excellent preparatory course for the International Studies 316 course while we were traveling in Central Europe.

Picture References:

1.      Emily Herkert. Out the Train Window. June 2, 2014. Germany.
2.      Emily Herkert. Oktogon Sign. June 19, 2014. Budapest, Hungary.
3.      Emily Herkert. Metro in Leipzig. June 3, 2014. Leipzig, Germany.