Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Personal Growth

Emily at Charlottenburg Palace, Berlin, Germany
            For my final blog post required by my professors I am going to write about my academic and personal growth. I found my trip to Central Europe was incredibly educational as well as personally enriching.
 
Emily at John Lennon Wall, Prague, Czech Republic
            As a future history teacher, I wanted to travel to Central Europe to see some of the locations I will one day be teaching about. Seeing these famous sights in person has given me much more insight into those past events and has given me even more to consider. It seemed that every building and street corner had some significance or story. As someone who loves learning, I relished the opportunity to learn so much in such a short amount of time. Every day our itinerary was full of enriching educational opportunities that I would have missed out on if I traveled to Central Europe on my own. The amount we learned was overwhelming at times, but my understanding of this region of the world is now much firmer. I believe that I will be able to convey the knowledge I have gained to my future students. The Central European Travel Seminar was an amazing academic experience that will be an asset to me in years to come.

Emily at Castle Ruins, Wachau Valley, Austria
            Personally, traveling through Central Europe was rather transformative. I am a quiet individual, not shy, but often not one to speak up. However, while traveling I had to speak up in order to make sure that I was understood. Whether it was to other members of my group or to the many individuals I encountered while we traveled, I needed to be a little more assertive and have more self-efficacy. Although we were traveling with a group, this was my first time traveling without my family. I was nervous at first about how traveling alone would be, but I was able to thoroughly enjoy myself. I have discovered that I am able to keep myself occupied and engaged without the constant encouragement of others. The largest personal transformation that I underwent during the Central European Travel Seminar was to my confidence. It was not that I was not confident going in, but now I feel that I could be put in the middle of any major city and I would be able to find my way around without being afraid. I am still a small town girl at heart, but big cities are no longer scary. I am able to take care of myself in a place where I do not always understand the language. There are always ways to make myself understood. Patience and an open mind are the most essential skills of any traveler. I believe that my time traveling in Central Europe helped me further develop and understand those skills. During my time abroad I feel that I changed a great deal and came to know a lot more about the world as a whole.

Emily at Citadella, Budapest, Hungary
            Thank you for taking the time to read the thoughts and opinions I have written about in this blog. For any future travelers to Central Europe, remember to always be open to new experiences. The Central European Travel Seminar was the trip of a lifetime.

            Good luck and have fun!

                        -Emily Herkert

Picture References:

1.      Emily Herkert. Charlottenburg Palace. May 29, 2014. Berlin, Germany.
2.      Emily Herkert. John Lennon Wall. June 8, 2014. Prague, Czech Republic.
3.      Emily Herkert. In Castle Ruins. June 14, 2014. Wachau Valley, Austria.
4.      Emily Herkert. Climbing to Citadella. June 21, 2014. Budapest, Hungary.