Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Ventures in Vienna

            After a day in Brno we traveled on to Vienna. Vienna was one of my favorite cities on the entire trip. Everything was clean and classy. It was expensive of course, but I did not expect anything else. I truly enjoyed everything that we saw in Vienna, and I would be willing to return in a heartbeat.

Wachau Valley
           My favorite aspect of geography that we saw in Austria was our day trip to the Wachau Valley Vineyards. We biked through the gorgeous Wachau Valley, following along the Danube to little villages and vineyards. This picturesque valley was surrounded by mountains. As part of our day trip I was allowed to climb a mountain to visit the ruins the castle where Richard the Lionheart was held prisoner. The views of the valley were breathtaking. The Wachau Valley is a UNESCO world heritage site and has been a major producer of white wines for centuries. The modern villages, situated along the Danube, have grown out of their medieval counterparts. This land has changed very little throughout time and as we biked through the countryside it was almost like we could go back in time. The entire area was beautiful and the wine was fantastic. I felt completely rejuvenated my trip to the Wachau Valley despite the 18 mile bike ride.
 
The Art of Painting: Vermeer


            My favorite academic activity in Vienna was our trip to the Kunsthistoriches Museum. This massive art museum was the largest I have ever visited. I am by no means an artist, but I took AP Art History in high school. I greatly enjoyed that class, so I do have some background knowledge about how to look at and appreciate art. When we were given time to look around I headed straight for the Painting Gallery, because I knew what type of art I wanted to look at. The museum hand a fantastic collection, and I was able to see many pieces I remember learning about in high school. Some of the highlights of my visit included viewing paintings by Vermeer, Rembrandt, Rubens, Raphael, Claesz, Caravaggio, Titian, Van Eyk, and Brueghel. The audio guide that we had for going through the museum was great. We could listen to further explanation about a painting or painter if we were curious. I could have easily spent all day in the Picture Gallery. It was rather overwhelming, but I loved visiting the Kunsthistoriches Museum. It was a fantastic experience.

Madonna of the Meadow: Raphael
            My favorite extra-curricular activity that I experienced in Vienna was my trip to the Austrian Military Museum. I went to this museum because it boasts an excellent World War I exhibit that includes the car and clothing of Archduke Ferdinand. Unfortunately, the exhibit was being redesigned for the centennial commemoration of the start of WWI. I still enjoyed the other exhibits we were able to view. We got to see Austrian military uniforms throughout time as well as different historical guns and weapons. I do not have much background knowledge about particular weapons, but the changes throughout the decades were interesting. The World War II exhibit was open, and this section of the museum was excellent. There were many artifacts from this time period ranging from military gear to Nazi propaganda. There was a yard out back completely filled with Austrian military tanks. I really enjoyed the museum despite the initial disappoint and I would recommend that anyone visiting Vienna stops by when the World War I exhibit is open.

Military Museum
            In Vienna I would suggest that everyone stops by Café Hawelka. This café has been open and owned by the same family for over one hundred years. It was a favorite meeting place for political dissidents. It is a small, intimate café with an incredible vibe. I do not even like coffee, but while in a famous café in Vienna I ordered coffee anyway. I ordered a drink called a Melange, which was essentially a cappuccino, and it was excellent. I am still not a coffee drinker, but I could drink it at Café Hawelka. The wait staff was incredible. Our waiter reminded me of my perception of a proper butler. The owner of the restaurant, the son of the original owner, walked around the café and shook hands with all the guests. It was a great café experience that I would recommend to anyone.

Cafe Hawelka
            I had an excellent time in Vienna and someday I would love to go back. Next blog post will be about my experiences in Budapest, Hungary.


References:

Café Leopold Hawelka. “Tradition History.” Accessed July 15, 2014.
            http://www.hawelka.at/cafe/de/geschichte/
Heeresgeschichtliches Musuem. “History.” Accessed July 15, 2014.
            http://www.hgm.at/en/museum/history.html
Kunsthistoriches Museum Wien. “Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien.” Accessed July
            15, 2014. http://www.khm.at/en/.
UNESCO.org. “Wachau Cultural Landscape.” Accessed July 15, 2014.
            http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/970.

Picture References:

1.      Emily Herkert. Vienna from St. Stephens. June 11, 2014. Vienna, Austria.
2.      Emily Herkert. Wachau Valley. June 14, 2014. Krems an der Donau, Austria.
3.      Emily Herkert. The Art of Painting. June 12, 2014. Vienna, Austria.
4.      Emily Herkert. Madonna of the Meadow. June 12, 2014. Vienna, Austria.
5.      Emily Herkert. Military Museum. June 13, 2014. Vienna, Austria.

6.      Emily Herkert. Café Hawelka. June 15, 2014. Vienna Austria.