Sunday, July 13, 2014

Berlin Adventures

          
            I began my European adventure in Berlin, the capital city of Germany. I had so many fantastic experiences in this city that it is difficult for me to pick a specific place that I liked the best. In these blog posts about the cities we visited, I will be talking about the city’s geography, my favorite academic experience, my favorite extra-curricular experience, and recommending a place to eat for future travelers.

Walking Through Tiergarten
            An aspect of the geography of Berlin that I was fascinated with was the emphasis placed on having green space within the city. This was most prevalent when we walked through the massive Tiergarten. I am from a small town, but I have traveled to larger cities in the United States before. Usually in larger cities I miss the trees and grass of the countryside. Unlike these cities, Berlin seems to have made a commitment to keeping large green spaces within the city. While we were walking through the Tiergarten it felt like I could be visiting any forest back home in Wisconsin. This land would be prime real estate if were developed, but the people of Berlin chose to keep it as a park and the government agreed. I found it refreshing to have such a large, relaxed, natural environment in the middle of a modern city.

 Jewish Museum
            My favorite academic experience in Berlin was our visit to the Jewish Museum. I thought this museum was done very well. It is laid out in three different axis: the Axis of Exile, the Axis of the Holocaust, and the Axis of Continuity. The Axis of Exile focused on the experiences of Jewish individuals who were forced to leave their homes and resettle in new places. The Axis of the Holocaust highlighted the Jewish experience during the Holocaust. The Axis of Continuity was my favorite and by far the longest axis of the three. It detailed the history of the Jewish people throughout time. Instead of focusing solely on the tragedy of the Holocaust and more recent Jewish history, these exhibits detailed the early through modern history of the Jewish people. This included both their contributions to society as well as the many struggles they faced throughout time. I thought the entire museum was excellently done. The architecture of the museum was incredibly interesting. The windows were not designed to really function as windows in the building, but to look almost like scars on the outside of the building. It was one of the most interesting examples of modern architecture that I have ever seen. The Jewish Museum was an amazing experience.
Scars on the Building: Jewish Museum

            My favorite extra-curricular experience was my trip out to Olympia Stadium. Home of the 1936 Olympics, this historic stadium was a place that I was very interested in visiting. I took the metro out to Olympia Stadium with one of my classmates and a professor. The metro stop was conveniently located on Jesse Owens Lane. I imagine that the street’s name is a more recent change. The stadium was only a few blocks down the street. The building was rather imposing and an excellent example of Fascist architecture. There were several large Fascist statues around the stadium that represent strength. We walked to the main entrance, but were unable to take a tour because there was a concert going on in the stadium. However, we were able to see the front of the stadium as well as the Olympic Rings. As a history student I was excited to be able to visit such a historically significant place during my free time. If I ever return to Berlin I hope to be able to take a tour of the stadium.


            Finally, I will recommend a place to eat for future students and travelers. Berlin is famous for a type of sausage known as currywurst. They even have a currywurst museum. I must confess that I tried currywurst and I did not care for it. It was sort of like a bratwurst covered with a slightly spicy curry sauce. However, I would still recommend that any travelers try this Berlin specialty. Eating the food of a city is part of the cultural experience. For currywurst, I would recommend the small fast food restaurant where I got mine, near Alexanderplatz. Simply called Currywurst Express, this restaurant specialized in currywurst and French fries. It was a relatively cheap lunch and I was able to try one of the cultural foods of Berlin.


            I had an excellent time in Berlin and if I reflected on all my experiences I would have to start a separate blog. Next time I give advice and suggestions about Leipzig, Germany.




References:

Berlin.de.“Tiergarten,”  Accessed July 13, 2014.
     http://www.berlin.de/orte/sehenswuerdigkeiten/tiergarten/index.en.php.
Jüdisches Museum Berlin. “Jewish Museum Berlin.” Accessed July 13, 2014.
           http://www.jmberlin.de/main/EN/homepage-EN.php.
Olympiastadion Berlin.  “Olympiastadion.” Accessed July 13, 2014.
    http://www.olympiastadion-berlin.de/en.html.

Picture References:

1.      Emily Herkert, Berlin from the Victory Column, May 31, 2014, Berlin, Germany.
2.      Emily Herkert, Walking Through Tiergarten, May 31, 2014, Berlin, Germany.
3.      Emily Herkert, Jewish Museum, May 30, 2014, Berlin, Germany.
4.      Emily Herkert, Scars on the Building, Jewish Museum, May 30, 2014, Berlin,
Germany.
5.      Emily Herkert, Olympia Stadium, May 31, 2014, Berlin Germany.
6.      Emily Herkert, Currywurst Express in Alexanderplatz, May 29, 2014, Berlin,
Germany.