Monday, July 14, 2014

Traveling Through Brno

            
Tram in Brno
          After we left Prague we headed to Brno. It was miserably hot when we arrived and we only stayed for one full day, so I do not feel that I was able to fully experience and appreciate Brno. However, I was happy to visit and I enjoyed the sights we were able to see.

            The aspect of Brno’s geography that I found the most interesting was the effects of globalization on this Moravian city. Brno is actually considered the capital of Moravia, which is in what is now the Eastern portion of the Czech Republic. While globalization was present in every city we visited, I noticed it particularly in Brno. Brno was not as much of a tourist or “global” city as the other areas we visited. Here, we saw much more about what life is like for average Czech citizens living outside of the major urban center of Prague. This includes the massive impact of international brands and chain stores. For instance, after arriving in Brno, I went to a Tesco store to pick up some items that I needed. This Tesco, which is a British-owned chain, sold both groceries and other general merchandise. Many of the brands were familiar and I could recognize many products that I use at home. While globalization had been prevalent everywhere, I was much more struck by it in Brno because there was not a large tourist crowd demanding international brands. Globalized products has simply become a part of regular life in the Czech Republic.



            My favorite academic experience in Brno was our trip to the Roma Musuem. This Museum focused on the experiences and history of the Roma people in Europe. This group has faced many hardships and persecutions throughout time. Besides being often treated as outsiders and forced to move from place to place, these individuals also faced terrible discrimination. The Many Roma became victims of the Holocaust because they were viewed as “undesirable” by the Nazi Regime. I had very little knowledge about the history and struggles of the Roma people before visiting this excellent museum. We had a guided tour and our guide was fantastic. What struck me most was the discrimination that the Roma people still face. The vast majority of Roma are working members of society. However, many of Europe’s poorest citizens are Roma and stereotypes about the Roma continue to persist. I believe this evident discrimination is one of Europe’s major problems going forward.

Abbey where Gregor Mendel Lived
            My favorite extra-curricular activity in Brno was the trip I took to the Gregor Mendel Museum. I had learned about Gregor Mendel in my high school Biology classes, so to see the place where he lived and worked was quite interesting. Mendel is considered the father of modern day genetics. His careful recordings of his experiments with the cross-breeding of pea plants resulted in much further study about how genes are transmitted from one generation to the next. His work was incredibly instrumental in early genetics. He was a monk who was later made Abbott. The museum dedicated to him is now in the Abbey where he once resides. The museum featured many of Mendel’s belongings as well as several original documents. I had a great time visiting this museum and it was air-conditioned! It was a great place to learn about Gregor Mendel and beat the heat.
 
Gregor Mendel
            As for my food recommendation for Brno is a visit to a beer garden. We visited this beer garden for our group dinner in Brno. I am not certain of the official name of the beer garden. I believe it is called either Rosnicka or Plzensky Dvur. Both of those are beer gardens in Brno with excellent reviews. The service was very friendly and the food was excellent. I recommend the grilled barbeque ribs. There was so much food it was almost impossible to finish. I highly recommend visiting a beer garden while in Brno. It was a great place to unwind and forget about the heat.

            I did not have enough time in Brno to really get as much of a feel of the city as the larger cities where we stayed longer. However, I still greatly enjoyed every place I visited. Next entry I will be discussing my experiences in Vienna.


References:

Czech4you. “List of Beer Gardens.” Accessed July 14, 2014.
            http://czech4you.com/index.php?menuitem=150.
Mendel Museum. “The Exhibition Online: Introduction.” Accessed July 14, 2014.
            http://www.mendel-museum.com/eng/1online/.
Museum of Roma Culture. “About Us.” Accessed July 14, 2014.
            http://www.rommuz.cz/o-nas-2/.
Tesco. “Tesco Czech Republic.” Accessed July 14, 2014.
            http://www.tescoplc.com/index.asp?pageid=332.

Picture References:

1.      Emily Herkert. A Tram in Brno. June 10, 2014. Brno, Czech Republic.
2.      Emily Herkert. Muzeum Romanske Kultury. June 10, 2014. Brno, Czech Republic.
3.      Emily Herkert. Gregor Mendel’s Abbey. June 10, 2014. Brno, Czech Republic.

4.      Emily Herkert. Gregor Mendel Statue. June 10, 2014. Brno, Czech Republic.